Friday 1 February 2013

Making Your Makeup Last: Volume II

This time, I'm talking EYES. I used to have trouble with creasing eyeshadow and running eyeliner, as I'm sure most of us have, but these simple steps have helped get rid of these problems...
They may seem easy or obvious, but they all help so here we go...


Priming

As with priming your face, priming your eyes will almost act as a glue to keep everything in place.
My personal favourite is the Urban Decay Primer Potion. It comes in a few shades (but the original is best!)
I also love using long-wear cream shadows as a base because they can really add depth to your eyes. My fave is the Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows. Particularly the shade 'Birthday Suit' as I must have gone through about 8 pots of the stuff! They're really nice to use just on their own as they all have a slight shimmer so they are an instant look.. The MAC Paint Pots are also great. I haven't tried the Maybelline Colour Tattoo ones, so I can't tell you what they're like, but I'm sure you can find a review somewhere ;) 

If you don't want to buy any of these products, you could always just use a light layer of concealer and a slight dusting of powder. It works, but I don't think it lasts as long and depending on the concealer, may still crease.


Eyeshadow

I don't think that eyeshadow is hugely responsible for long lasting makeup, but anyway, some minor things might help.

For example, if you layer up different layers and colours and textures, it will not only help your eyes look fab, it will make it stay on.. It will also help set your base a bit more too.
I also think that using a highly pigmented shadow will help.

Liner

Whether you use pencil, gel or liquid liner, by applying a shadow of the same colour on top, it will seal in the colour.
For pencil liner on your waterline, it will stop it bleeding out and making you look like Alice cooper. Waterproof eyeliners are obviously the best to use. I honestly don't know why they don't make all liners waterproof as they make ones that are very soft and easy to smudge if that's the look you want! It seems like an obvious thing to look for but whatever.. I would still set with eyeshadow just for an extra barrier.

My favourite is the Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Liner. But others that I like are the Soap and Glory ones and the YSL one. 

As for gel and liquid I love the MAC fluidline gel liner and the L'oreal Super Liner. 


Mascara

With mascara, again, waterproof is a must when looking for long-wear.
There are also some brands that do mascara primer, but quite often they are white and a tad clumpy so I'm not a massive fan. I find that just using waterproof works.

People say that you should do multiple coats of mascara, which is correct, but they say that you should let the first layer completely dry before applying the next layer. This is rubbish because if you put a fresh layer of mascara over a dry one, it will go clumpy, flakey and horrible, so I'd just let it dry a little bit so it's still sticky (I don't mean sticky but I can't think of the word.. You all know what I mean!)


So that's it for Volume II.. Volume III coming soon! 

Hope this helped!

Enjoy!

xo


1 comment: